Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Type: Full Time
Salary: $200k to $225k
SIOP is an affirmative action/equal employment employer.
Telecommuting is allowed.
About the role
The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Inc. (SIOP) is hiring a new Chief Executive Officer. SIOP is the premier membership organization for the science and practice of industrial-organizational (I-O) psychology, a dynamic and growing field that applies psychological science to workplace issues at both the individual and organizational levels. The position is responsible for administering the affairs of the 9,000+ member organization, directing the activities of the fully remote, 11-person staff, implementing the policies developed by the Executive Board, and communicating with the membership and the SIOP Executive Board.
The ideal CEO candidate will embrace operational excellence and strategic leadership of a staff of 11 in support of a strategically driven, member-led association with several immediate priorities:
Managing rapid technological transformation
Leading and fostering a culture of excellence in our virtual administrative staff
Working actively with volunteer leaders to support their agendas while fostering operational efficiencies, integration, and good governance.
Helping to drive and support strategic initiatives around member expansion, member experience, and integrated communications
Planning large-scale events that incorporate virtual technologies
Developing strategic staffing plan to support wide-ranging executive board initiatives
How to apply
Interested applicants should email the following by 6/4/23 to SIOPsearch@siop.org: 1) a resume, 2) three references with contact information, 3) a two-page description of how you would approach one of SIOP’s immediate priorities listed above, including your analysis of the challenge, the steps you would take to address the priority, and your underlying assumptions, and 4) a cover letter that describes your experience leading and/or executing in the following five areas:
1. Association Strategy and Governance – Contributing to and developing an execution strategy to support the growth of a large-scale professional association; monitoring, updating, and executing all required documentation (e.g., bylaws, policies) to ensure the association is in good standing; executing association processes (e.g., elections, collection of membership dues); coordinating with SIOP governance (e.g., volunteers, committee chairs, executive board); establishing and maintaining high levels of member satisfaction with the society’s administrative office; researching, designing, and launching new programs and systems designed to improve the SIOP membership experience; building and maintaining tactical and strategic partnerships with other professional associations.
2. Event Management – Identifying and contracting hotel and event center space to support conference needs; overseeing negotiations with hotels, vendors, and sponsors; developing and executing marketing tactics to encourage conference attendance and promote visibility; planning, preparing, and managing large-scale conferences (e.g., the annual conference with 5,000+ attendees).
3. Financial Management – Overseeing the development of an annual budget; reviewing and approving contracts, invoices, and purchases; filing tax documents; identifying opportunities for cost savings; maintaining financial and accounting records; monitoring a financial portfolio; working in partnership with the executive board to operationalize new revenue streams; calibrating income and expenses against board-defined strategic priorities and up-to-date data about member trends.
4. Marketing and Communications – Ensuring effective communications with members, volunteers, and external stakeholders through multiple media; elevating the society’s visibility through multiple communications channels.
5. Administrative Leadership – Recruiting, hiring, managing, coaching, and retaining staff; delegating staff to prioritize and maintain operational efficiency; aligning office staffing, contractor usage, and resource levels to current and upcoming initiatives, including infrastructure investments and staff expansions, when justified and agreed upon with the executive board; managing transformation efforts associated with large IT infrastructure switchover; supporting the SIOP Foundation and its activities.
Qualifications include (1) a bachelor’s degree in business administration, social science, or a related field, (2) strong organizational, professional, and interpersonal skills; and (3) the ability to work effectively with the SIOP membership, the Executive Board, the staff, vendors, and outside professional groups. Preferred Qualifications: (1) master’s degree in business administration, social science, or a related field; (2) 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 or more years of association experience; (3) association management certification (e.g., CAE credential); and (4) Experience supporting the growth of an association or non-profit organization. Travel: 10% - 15%.
About Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
The Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP) is an international nonprofit professional association of 10,000+ annual members with the administrative office located in Bowling Green, Ohio.
SIOP is the trusted authority on workplace psychology. Its professional members use scientific methods to understand and manage human workplace interactions, improving productivity and worker well-being.
SIOP is strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. No aspect of recruitment, hiring, or employment with SIOP will be influenced in any manner by race, color, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, disability status, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We encourage diverse applicants from myriad educational, work, and personal backgrounds to apply.
In appreciation of our staff team, SIOP offers generous benefits for full time employees, including 11 annual paid holidays, paid vacation and sick time, health, dental, and life insurance options based on eligibility and co...verage, a 401k plan with immediate vesting and an automatic contribution, tuition assistance and professional development funding, flexible work hours, a remote work option, and casual dress code. We are a parent-friendly/caregiver-friendly employer who recognizes the importance of work-life integration and balance for our team.
To learn more about the organization, please visit www.siop.org.