American Association of Neurological Surgeons is actively hiring for a Director, Organizational Affairs to join our team in Rolling Meadows, IL. This opportunity will allow you to promote the highest quality of patient care and advance the specialty of neurological surgery. We are looking for a reliable Director that will lead the Organizational Affairs department, to direct the day-to-day activities and functions for the Organizational Affairs department to ensure programs, processes and tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
This position is responsible for the organizational affairs of the Association by providing administrative management to the various governing bodies, supporting organizational policies, structure and future initiatives. This position oversees operational management of key constituent stakeholder groups (elected and appointed physician leadership, sections, affiliated organizations), playing a strategic role in solidifying stakeholder relationships with AANS.
Supervises three direct reports and oversees day-to-day governance operations. The position plays a key role in creating clear and strong links between strategy, policy, process and compliance, developing best practices and continuously striving for improved governance, risk management and compliance processes.
Advises the CEO on the development of a strategic mission and plan for the Organizational Affairs department, including developing the governance infrastructure and budget. Work with CEO to develop and conduct leadership orientation, prepare and maintain leadership onboarding programs/materials, conduct evaluations, and implement strategic goals.
Attend all meetings, conference calls of the Board of Directors and related committees. Develop Board priorities, agendas and reference materials (e.g. Committee grids/rosters, appointment, correspondence, COI reporting, issue summaries, and supporting materials). Draft/review meeting minutes, identify, communicate and track progress on strategic action steps toward the fulfillment of organizational goals on behalf of AANS leadership and Board
Serve as primary professional staff liaison to the AANS Secretary, AANS Vice President, Board of Directors and select Board committees.
Serve as primary professional staff liaison to President-Elect and AANS Nominating Committee to ensure that nominating, election, committee appointment and Board orientation processes are properly managed, comply with organizational protocols, and are maintained in alignment with leading best practices in the industry.
Serve as primary professional staff liaison to Professional Conduct Committee and CEO in the management of professionalism policies. Serve as primary staff liaison for the Bylaws Committee and other committees as assigned.
Support AANS Section, Committee and Board-directed Programs and Initiatives, encourage cross-organizational collaboration and advance section relations.
College degree required; association or related certifications beneficial.
• 8+ years of experience in non-profit governance and supporting a non-profit board, healthcare or medical organization.
• Previous experience in a senior leadership role. Strong supervisory management experience mandatory; demonstrated ability to manage teams, coach individuals, develop and train staff.
• Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Ability to listen and interact professionally and effectively with stakeholders is a key skill for this position, as is the ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
• Customer service orientation is a priority as well as the proven ability to work with volunteers and staff.
• Strong project management and organizational skills with attention to detail including the ability to coordinate workflow, determine priorities, meet deadlines and effectively balance competing demands.
• Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications and organizational databases required. Knowledge of Association Anywhere and/or Salesforce AMS platforms preferred.
• Solid technology skills with the ability to learn new technology to effectively manage and maintain leadership records and other data.
• Travel required up to 10% annually with occasional evening and weekend work.
What We Offer:
We offer a competitive salary, benefits packages, and a supportive and collaborative environment with room to grow.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life insurance
Tuition Reimbursement and LinkedIn Learning
The AANS is dedicated to advancing the specialty of neurological surgery in order to provide the highest quality of neurosurgical care to the public. Fellows of the AANS are board-certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Mexican Council of Neurological Surgery, A.C. Neurosurgery is the medical specialty concerned with prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation of disorders that affects the spinal column, spinal cord, brain, nervous system and peripheral nerves.
Mission: The AANS is committed to providing the highest quality of patient care and advances the specialty of neurological surgery.