The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 53,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources. Colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of our members and strive to implement and enhance policies that benefit physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. At ASA we’re collaborative, dedicated to our members, committed to excellence and continuously improving. As a testament to these values we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2018 and 2017, and a winner of the 2018 and 2017 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. To further strengthen the organization, we’re seeking individuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!
The Managing Editor is the senior member of the Anesthesiology journal staff, responsible for editorial operations and implementation of editorial strategies. Works closely with the Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board, and in partnership with leaders in academia and anesthesiology research, to strengthen the journal’s brand, quality, customer experience, and reputation. The Managing Editor oversees the editorial office team, peer review operations, editorial data analysis and interpretation, continuous content improvement, and is charged with raising the journal’s profile in anesthesiology, critical care and pain medicine through strategic planning and implementation. Broad responsibilities also include monitoring scholarly biomedical publishing industry trends and policies, adopting and socializing new guidelines and processes, and working with Editors to enhance content richness and broaden editorial reach. The Managing Editor is an ambassador for Anesthesiology and acts as a dependable resource to the Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board, and ASA on editorial and publishing practices.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Collaborate with journal Editors, vendors and ASA to develop and execute strategic initiatives and to reinforce the journal’s brand.
· Oversee and refine as needed the manuscript submission and peer review process including maintaining the editorial office Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) manual, Handling Editor manual, and the reviewer and author instructions. Communicate and reinforce process to Editors, authors, reviewers and other stakeholders.
· Monitor and report on journal Anesthesiology performance metrics. Lead journal analytics initiatives using data from a broad range of sources including manuscript submission system, journal website, and third-party software. Interpret and present data, proposing content and other enhancements based on data analysis and contemporary bibliometrics.
· Monitor and report on content, trends, strategies, and performance metrics of Anesthesiology competitor and non-competitor journals in anesthesiology, perioperative medicine, critical care and pain, as well as leading general medical journals, using data from a broad range of appropriate sources. Interpret and present data, proposing content and other enhancements to Anesthesiology based on strategy and to achieve competitive advantage.
· Manage editorial and peer review services contractor including setting goals, monitoring performance, advising on best practices and, if firm is not meeting goals, executing performance improvement plans.
· Provide effective communication, collaboration, and customer service to authors, reviewers and other customers. Work closely with journal publisher, Wolters Kluwer, and society Marketing to implement marketing and author recruitment campaigns and other initiatives with the goal of increasing journal submissions, editorial recognition and impact.
· Partner with Editors to create issue lineup and manage special journal sections including Science, Medicine and the Anesthesiologist, This Month in Anesthesiology, Reflections, and Infographics.
· Identification, development and roll-out of current and new journal features in print and online, including multimedia (podcast and video) and new article types, in collaboration with Editors and the Publisher.
· Coordinate activities and meetings of the Editorial Board. Maintain database of Editors and Associate Editors, terms, and send annual appointments and agreements communications. Coordinate evaluation, communication, and contracts with Statistical Editor.
· Monitor and report on Editorial Board performance metrics, for presentation to Editor in Chief.
· Plan agendas, send invitations, and prepare meetings and presentation materials for Journal editorial board and strategy meetings.
· Manage freelance writers and designers associated with the Journal. Work with ASA legal department to prepare any annual contractual obligations.
· Monitor trends in peer review and ensure incorporation of best practices in review processes and policies.
· Monitor ASA communications and strategic initiatives as they affect the Journal.
· Assist publisher and society marketing in development and implementation of targeted, effective and compelling marketing campaigns for the Journal, including requested input on creation, production and delivery of content, messaging, marketing materials, and execution tactics.
· With the Editor-in-Chief, co-manage ethical and research integrity issues as they arise, and research solutions based on COPE guidelines and other best practices.
· Plan and execute journal Annual Meeting activities including Journal Symposium, Best Abstracts, Celebration of Research and Editorial Board reception.
· Update journal website pages as needed, including author instructions, editorial board, journal CME.
· Work with Editorial Board, ASA staff and Wolters Kluwer to maintain a balanced budget governed by the contractual agreement with Wolters Kluwer. Partner with ASA staff and Editor-In-Chief to prepare the August ASA Board of Directors Journal report.
· Seek opportunities for continuing education in editorial and publishing best practices and participates in editorial and journal publishing conferences and webinars (such as CSE, SSP, Editorial Manager User Group, etc.).
· Bachelor's degree required, preferably in English or Journalism. Individuals with an advanced degree in biomedical science, and the requisite academic publishing experience below are also very welcome.
· Minimum 5 years of experience working in a publications or communications environment; preferably with a peer-reviewed medical journal.
· Minimum 5 years of experience publishing/proofreading/copyediting for print and/or electronic publishing.
· Previous supervisory experience required.
· Knowledge and expertise with peer review and manuscript management systems, including Editorial Manager, currently used by the Journal, is highly desired.
· Understands copyrights and permissions.
· Background and knowledge in digital communications with exposure to digital and social networking technologies (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, web videos, blogging, etc.).
· Strong budget and reporting experience are necessary.
· Familiarity with clinical and basic research in anesthesia, critical care or pain is desired, or minimally, a biomedical/clinical discipline.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
· Proficiency in electronic publishing and database management.
· Highly developed interpersonal skills, demonstrating confidence and poise with a strong member-service orientation.
· Ability to work cross departmentally and collaboratively and to bridge between staff members, volunteers, publisher and vendors.
· Ability to autonomously manage large-scale projects from start to finish, maintains high level of organization and ability to multi-task effectively, managing overlapping projects. Strong follow-through to meet deadlines.
· Ability to act independently and collaboratively in a complex organization within company policy.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists® (ASA) is a medical association which serves a growing membership of more than 52,000 physician anesthesiologists, medical students and care team members. At ASA, we strive to be the best medical society in the world by offering superior educational opportunities and resources.
With more than 170 employees in Schaumburg, Illinois and Washington D.C., the collaborative nature of our organization encourages us to appreciate each contribution, unique expertise and the vast knowledge that every individual brings to the table. We’re dedicated to our members because they’re dedicated to their patients, and we strive to create an outstanding experience to help them succeed in their practice. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily to-do list—we set high expectations, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Our desire to keep improving is the proverbial wind beneath our wings; we seek feedback, pursue knowledge and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
As a testament to these values we were named one of Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in 2018 and 2017, and a ...winner of the 2017 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. Colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of our members and strive to implement and enhance policies that benefit physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. To continue strengthening the organization, we’re seeking individuals who are talented, knowledgeable, motivated and agile. If these qualities resonate with you, you may be the perfect addition to our growing staff!