The Society of Professional Journalists, the nation’s largest and most broad-based membership association for journalists, is seeking a candidate to fill its Development Manager position. The full-time position, based in Indianapolis, includes competitive salary, excellent benefits and paid leave. The Development Manager will oversee all aspects of fundraising for the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation (a 501c3 charity) and the Society of Professional Journalists (a 501c6 non-profit).
Primary duties will include: - Help create strategic development initiatives, in conjunction with the SDX Foundation and SPJ boards of directors.
- Plan, manage, execute and evaluate the overall development efforts of Society of Professional Journalists and Sigma Delta Chi Foundation; including but not limited to the annual Day of Giving, year-end appeal and smaller campaigns throughout the year.
- Searches for, and researches, potential donors that may serve as major donors.
- Works to connect potential donors with appropriate volunteer leaders and/or staff.
- Develops messaging and marketing ideas for development activities.
- Work with education, membership and other staff to create cohesive development campaigns and/or strategies that relate to the overarching strategic goals of the organization.
- Carry out administrative duties, including maintaining the donor database, associated with fundraising efforts.
Full job description: https://www.spj.org/pdf/employmentops/spj-development-manager.pdf
Minimum Qualifications: 1. At least five years of experience in a comprehensive development program. 2. Passion for protecting the First Amendment, specifically as it relates to a free press. 3. Demonstrated success in fundraising, specifically related to securing major gifts and yearly giving campaigns. 4. Working knowledge of computer-based donor tracking systems (iMIS preferred). 5. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive and productive working relationships with a cross section of publics, including but not limited to the donor public, community and professional groups, volunteer boards and committees and staff. 6. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. 7. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines. 8. Demonstrated ability to maintain accountability and to work independently and creatively, while functioning as part of a cooperative and coordinated team. 9. Must be creative, able to generate ideas and be a self-starter. 10. Must be responsible, dependable, well organized, logical and have high integrity. 11. Experience in grant writing preferred. 12. Marketing experience, especially that which relates to digital development efforts, is preferred.
Physical Requirements: 1. Ability to ascend/descend stairs. 2. Ability to lift 10-20 pounds occasionally.
The Society of Professional Journalists is the nation’s most broad-based journalism organization, dedicated to encouraging the free practice of journalism and stimulating high standards of ethical behavior. Founded in 1909 as Sigma Delta Chi, SPJ promotes the free flow of information vital to a well-informed citizenry through the daily work of its nearly 7,500 members; works to inspire and educate... current and future journalists through professional development; and protects First Amendment guarantees of freedom of speech and press through its advocacy efforts.